Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Putting the bite on.




Getting off on the right foot.




I sometimes I find the “Rat and Ferret” a very confusing place to be. My veteran yeomen will know that I don’t watch a lot of television and I’m not very well versed on popular music. So when the conversation gets on to these topics, I tend to make the occasional grunt and nod knowingly. (Note 1) There are exceptions. One set are the cookery programs. I’m quite happy to salivate in front of any program where food is involved as long as it doesn’t involve Ainsley Harriot. I’m just not a fast moving type of person with a love of couscous.


Rather embarrassingly, another little favourite of mine is Strictly Come Dancing. Of course with my love of both cricket and food, I was torn between Darren Gough and James Martin.



James Martin went up in my estimation watching that series - as he did when I was looking for a picture of a bacon sandwich. I came across exactly what I needed on his webpage, along with the James Martin recipe for a bacon sandwich. What a recipe! It works on so many levels. Most importantly, it actually specifies beef dripping. (Note 2). It also doesn’t mess about with green bits and fancy rabbit food. Not only that, only the rind of the bacon is crisp – not like Merkin bacon that is so crisp that one bite leaves your mouth suffering shrapnel wounds.


The sandwich does substitute one very important ingredient with tomatoes. Now, I can forgive this. After all, Heinz have announced that they will stop manufacturing HP Sauce in the UK and move production to Holland. While I cannot see how you can have a bacon sarnie without HP Sauce, I admire James Martin for making a stand on the issue.


Mind you, I get the feeling that some are making a little bit of marketing capital out of Heinz’s decision.




From 14th June, the industry standard Crozzy Standard has been applied to footnotes.



NOTE 1 : There are evenings where the conversation sorts of bumps along the gutter while discussing the comparative merits of the breasts on display on Big Brother and whether Dale Winton should wear a bra when on live television. For those Merkins who are expecting some erudite comment that will enlighten them about Dale Winton – you really don’t want to know. Click to return



NOTE 2 : Which is the fat and juices from the roasting of a beef joint. Whenever I asked my Gran what was for tea she would say “Bread and Dripping” and I would grin. A thick layer of dripping on a hunk of bread with salt and pepper – delicious. Although probably not very high on my doctor’s diet sheet. Click to return



It just goes to show. Despite what the food police tell us, healthy eating has done nothing for Jamie Oliver.

Add to Technorati Favorites!





TECHNORATI TAGS : ; ; ; ; .



No comments: