Monday, June 07, 2010

When I See You Out and About It's Such a Crime


Here is part 35 of “A Couple of Tenors Short”. As the track title is so easy today, I have not chosen a picture relating to the artist. Instead I have found this fantastic idea for those of you who love dunking biscuits. This astounding mug can be found here!

At this point I was going to wax lyrical about the ultimate tea dunking experience of the Tim Tam Kiss – only to find that my original blog post on that subject is somewhere in the black hole that was 360. You’ll just have to take my word on that.



The title for today’s instalment is taken from a track by an artist who celebrates a milestone birthday today. It is an easy one, but any excuse to listen to and sing along with the answer.


OK, the quiz question out of the way, here is my mantra. This is a serial. Any new-joiners should start with the opener known as Part One.    
The troublesome recap has now settled into its new home. You can find the recap here!


Now read on...

Sir Andrew gave a sigh, shook his head and leant forward. “Inspector, I wonder if I might have a few moments alone with my client.
Ten minutes later, they convened again.
“So, Dunker. Are you ready to tell me what happened?” The inspector sat back in his chair and folded his arms.
“Inspector, my client assures me that he has nothing to do with the disappearance of Mr McRamie and will co-operate fully.” Sir Andrew scowled at Dunker Phil who looked sheepishly down into his own lap.
“That will be refreshing.” Jones looked at Sir Andrew and raised an eyebrow. “In your own time then Dunker.”
“I was just clearing up in the bar when I get a call from the office and I was told to follow Archie McRamie home. He was going to pack a few things and then I was to bring him back to the club.” Dunker looked at the Inspector and then his solicitor. “I go to the car and Darrius was already in the driver’s seat so I sit beside him and we follow him. Only when we gets close to the house, he suddenly stops the car and runs off. That’s the last I saw of him, Honest, Inspector Jones, the last I saw of him he was running off down the road like a scalded ferret.”
“Back up a bit, Dunker.” Smithy interjected. “Why did you get in his car?”
“What is it your Guv’ner calls it? Gut instinct?” Dunker gave a weak laugh. “We are there at the garage, watching him put all this juice in his car and suddenly we think he might be figuring to travel further than just his house, so I go and sit with him in his car, just in case.”
“We? Just who is this we, Dunker” Inspector Jones asked.
“Darrius and me.” Dunker looked at his solicitor. “That’s why I got out of the car at the petrol station. Only McRamie wasn’t keen and we exchanged words.”
“Who was in the back of the Oldsmobile, Dunker?” Jones asked quietly.
“Nobody.” Dunker scratched his nose.
“OK.” Jones gave a sigh. “Sir Andrew, I am going to put your client back in the cells and we will interview him again later. It is clear that he is not willing to co-operate as much as you led me to believe.”
Sir Andrew scowled at his client. “My client’s memory is hampered by the stress of his arrest. I’m sure if you give him a few moments to collect his thoughts, he will be able to assist you.”
Smith and Jones leant back in their chairs and crossed their arms. A silence descended on the room as all eyes stared at Dunker Phil.
“His name is Sergei, some Russian guy.” Dunker’s shoulder’s drooped as he spoke at last.  “Apart from that I know nothin’ about him. Not seen him before. Not seen him since.”
“Yet you took orders from him.” Jones fixed Dunker with a stare.
“He was in the office, so he must be important.” Dunker threw up his hands, before adding, “besides, you don’t want to get on the wrong side of the sisters.”
The interview continued in fits and starts with the Inspector slowly extracting the full story from Dunker Phil like an arthritic dentist pulling recalcitrant molars.
Dunker and Darrius arrived at the club to find it unlocked and a ‘Do Not Disturb’ board outside the office. They didn’t know who was in the office until they got the call from Sergei telling them to follow Archie McRamie to the house.  When they pulled into the garage, they had doubts over whether Archie was going to try to get away, there had been a brief argument and Sergei had told him to travel in Archie’s car.
They were getting close to Archie’s house when Dunker’s phone rang. As Dunker fumbled to get his phone out of his pocket, Archie suddenly stopped and ran out of the car. Next thing he knew, Sergei was sprinting down the road and shouting for Dunker to wait in the Oldsmobile.
About 10 minutes later, they got another call from Sergei saying that everything was OK and they were to return to the club. So they did.
When they got back to the club, Dunker had gone to clear up the office and found three cups and plates. One of the cups had lipstick on it.
Jones looked at his notes and was about to wind up the interview when he stopped and stroked his moustache. “The club was unlocked when you arrived at 11am?”
“Yeah” Dunker nodded.
“Who holds keys for the club?” the Inspector asked
“Just the Adkins sisters and Darrius” Dunker replied.
“Thank you, Phil. Most helpful. ” Inspector Jones gave a grin and waved a finger in the air.

No comments: