Monday, March 02, 2009

A Natural Lift for the Spirit

A poor blackbird in the snow


March has rather snuck up on me.Still, it's good that it has arrived and today has given me a glimpse of spring.


I'm an early starter, so for the last four months, I have been leaving for work in the dark. Yet today there was the slightest hint of blue in the sky and our blackbird was going at it as if his poor lungs were about to burst.


OK, so I had to scrape frost of the windows of the car, but it meant that the sun lifted itself into a clear blue sky and managed to summon up enough energy to make it feel really pleasant if you kept out of the shade.


All of which means that we will probably have more snow before the week is out.


I'm not going to knock it though. Today the little blackbird and his big song (see Note 1) really lifted my spirits and made the world seem a much better place.


It is a long shot, but you never know, the lighter mornings, the countryside starting to take on a tinge of green, the warmth of the sun on our backs and mother nature's morning concerts might start to lift the gloom that fills our newspapers and start to get the sap of confidence pumping again.


Note 1 : Yes, I was talking about the blackbird singing. What on earth did you think our little blackbird would be up to on a spring-like morning?

1 comment:

Uncle Dick Madeley said...

The world feels better when it's light when you go out in the morning but it feels even better when the bloody blackbird beneath our window stops giving throat and waking me up...