Saturday, July 31, 2010

Well, My Dandruff Is Loose.

This is part 50 of “A Couple of Tenors Short”. Yes, you heard correctly, this is part 50 of my serial. I don’t know about you, but I wasn’t sure if this would make it to the half century. It has got here though and there is certainly more to come.

If you are one of the stoical yeomen who has stuck with this from Part One, you will be amazed to learn that you have trudged your way through over 37 000 words! Hopefully, you have enjoyed your little foray into my synaptic meanderings and are able to follow what passes for a plot.

For the purposes of my own sanity, I would like to point out that there are some themes I need to develop and rework in what you have read so far. There are some serious points buried amongst the madness and these are tinged with satire in a couple of cases as well!

So, with my self-back slapping out of the way, I should see if I can find a quiz question related to ‘50’. This one is so easy you shouldn’t need the answer.

OK, the quiz question out of the way, here is my mantra. This is a serial. Any new-joiners should start with the opener known as Part One.   

The troublesome recap has now settled into its new home. You can find the recap here!

Now read on...

Jones and Pippa, sat together on the sofa and thumbed through the files together until Jones suddenly closed the file and stared blankly at the far wall.

“Pippa, why don’t I remember all of this?” Jones asked quietly.

“I don’t know.” Pippa straightened up and gave a shrug. “I should remember too, but it is all rather patchy.”

“This case was two years of my professional life, the biggest case I ever worked on.” Jones continued to stare at the wall.

“Plus it was when we first met.” Pippa stroked his arm. “And my big break.”

There was a long silence.

“I’m not mad, you know that, don’t you?” Jones voice was a mere whisper.

“Of course not!” Pippa gave a laugh and gave him a hug.

Jones sat stiffly as Pippa hugged him for several minutes, before she kissed him lightly on the cheek and drew back.

“Do you want to talk about it, Glynn?” she asked softly.

Jones expelled a long breath noisily and then rubbed his face with both hands before biting his lip and staring at the ceiling.

“It’s very difficult. There are things...”The words trailed away as Jones turned to face Pippa.

He looked at her twinkling eyes and her concerned smile.

“It’s OK, Glynn. There is no need to hold things back. It will help us both if you talk it through.”

Jones couldn’t look at Pippa any longer and turned away.

“Glynn?” Pippa moved forward so she was in Jones’s vision.

Jones sat stiffly shaking his head, eyes closed and biting his lip. A tear trickled down his cheek. Pippa leaned in and held him close. Jones could feel her warm soft body pressing against him, feel her breath on his neck and smell her musky perfume. Despite everything, his body began to react.

“I can’t. Not tonight...” Jones let the words trail away. “It’s been a difficult day and I feel so tired.”

Jones extricated himself from the embrace and stood up. Bending at the waist he leaned down and kissed Pippa on the nose.

“Is there another woman?” Pippa pulled back and glared at Jones.

“What?” Jones’s mouth opened wide and he froze. “No! No, it’s not that. It’s just... It’s just that there are so many things that I can’t explain. The disappearance of McRamie, this moustache, my clothes, the sudden hero worship of Horace Adkins, the food, the priest and ......”

Pippa tilted her head to one side and said nothing. The silence lingered between them.

“I can’t explain it. Not tonight, I’m just too tired and I think I love you too much...” The shock of his words caused  Jones to drop to his knees at Pippa’s feet and clutch both her hands in his own. “Perhaps when I can explain one thing, anything, then maybe I could.”

Pippa leaned down and kissed Jones on the forehead. “Perhaps you should just get some rest, Glynn. You go up and I’ll be up in a bit.”

Jones lifted himself off his knees and kissed Pippa lightly on the lips. “I’m sorry...”

“Shhh.” Pippa cut him off by placing a finger on his lips. “You’ve just had a hard day. After a good night’s sleep you’ll feel better. I’ll be up in a bit, I just need to sort out a few things for work tomorrow.”

An hour later, when Pippa came up, Jones was lying on his back staring at the ceiling. He didn’t move when Pippa came into the bedroom. He didn’t react when Pippa came out of the bathroom in a pink satin robe.

Pippa slipped into the bed and snuggled up to Jones. Instinctively he placed his left arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. Pippa responded by raining light kisses on his neck as she stroked his bare chest.  

“I went to see Rosa today.” Jones stated flatly.

“How is she?” Pippa stopped stroking his chest and lifted herself up onto an elbow so she could see Jones’s face.

“Angry.” Jones turned his head to face Pippa.

After Jones had related the events at the restaurant, Pippa turned away and reached into her nightstand.

“Here, take these.” Pippa held out her hand containing two pills. “They’ll help you sleep tonight and then in the morning, you will ring Rosa and apologise.”

Jones looked at the pills and then Pippa.

“It’s OK.” Pippa gave a small laugh. “They’re organic. Just take them and get some sleep. Everything will look much better in the morning. Promise.”

Jones nodded and took the pills.

 

No comments: